“Therefore, a man shall leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.”– Gen 2:24
When creating a family, God has established certain laws that have to go into effect in order to build a strong, loving marriage. As a result, this becomes a responsibility of a couple to act on those laws accordingly. The violation of at least one of them leads to a tragedy in the family life. For that reason, we find sound doctrine on building a blessed marriage.
“Things I Wish I’d Known Before We Got Married” – By Gary Chapman
Talks About questions that are found at the end of Chapter 13
If you were going to write a “Declaration of independence” from your parents, what are two things you’d like to include? How might you communicate shifting priorities and commitments to your new cleaving relationship?
Role Play the following conversation, practicing what you’d say in the given situation.
- One of you wants to ask his or her parents to loan you the down payment on a house. The other doesn’t, and thinks you should make it on your own-even if it means waiting couple of years. (Act out the conversation between each other)
- Your dad has been showing up unannounced at your apartment at least once a week to be “helpful handyman” and its driving your spouse crazy. (Role-play the discussion between you and your spouse.
- You Just found out that your spouse told his or her parents about argument you had. (Role-play how you’d tell you spouse your feelings about that in a calm way)
- Your mother insists that she be in charge of the guest list for your wedding. You think
that’s your job. (Role-play the conversation between you and your mother)
As your first year in marriage answer how you would play ‘Leave and Cleave Card”
- When your parents want you to spend every Sunday afternoon and holiday with them.
- When your old friends want you to spend every weekend playing video games with them or going on shopping expeditions.
- Every Septemebr you and your friends went to the beach or mountians. Now they are pushing you to go again this year and not be the lame married person.
How can we make sure to be good example to the world in our marriage?
What will we do to ensure that your home is always take care of and clean?
How will we expressing our hospitality when we take someone overnight or two?